Saturday, November 23, 2013

Observation Assignment #1


            It was a bright and very early Friday morning when I headed off to Warwick for my day of observations.  I was a little nervous as I entered the school, as I had set it up so that I would observe four different English classes in one day.  I wasn’t sure how it would go, but by the end, I was glad that I had the opportunity to do it that way.  I was able to see how the majority of a school day progressed in this high school, and four very different classrooms, which I think was a beneficial experience for me.  I arrived a little before the school day started.  The main office was bustling, but I was greeted by a pleasant secretary who got me signed in, and directed me to the classroom of the first teacher I was to observe.
As I moved through the halls, I couldn’t help but feel reminded of the two high schools I attended some ten years ago.  The school population is predominantly white and middle class, as mine had been, and which was reflected in each of the classes I observed.  The school was likely built in the 70s, and combined with the murals and awards on the walls, display cases with student projects and other things, and the students moving in the halls (some in football jerseys), it wound up feeling somehow familiar even though I had never been.
The teacher was warm and welcoming, and I entered just as she was setting up an LCD projector that she was borrowing from another teacher in the department.  The teacher she was borrowing it from was in the room and introduced herself, and her class was going to be the next that I observed.  As they set up the projector they explained that not everyone has one so they share on occasion.  I noticed throughout the day that while each classroom was equipped with a single computer for the teacher, as well as a traditional overhead projector, technology was largely absent.  In fact, each room still had chalkboards (I’m so used to seeing whiteboards!).  At a point later in the day, I was shown the computer lab, where teacher have to sign up for time slots to be able to bring their classes in.  In the corner of the computer lab was a cart of laptops, like the ones in HB at RIC.  The teachers had a chuckle as they told me the computers were new, but remained in the cart, because the school is not equipped for wi-fi.
The first class I observed was a 9th grade Honors class, which proved to be an interesting way to start the day, as I compared the rest of the classes to it.  As they began to file in, they collected their journals from a crate by the door and began chatting with each other and the teacher about their thoughts on the end of Animal Farm, which they had completed the night before.  Before the bell even rang.  This proved to be an indicator for how the rest of this class would go, as it wound up being the most energetic and engaged class I observed.  Whether it was because they were 9th graders, or because it was an Honors class, or because of the teacher’s style, or the make-up of the group of students… or some combination of these factors, it was interesting when compared to the rest of the day.  This also wound up being the largest class of the four—25 students, though only 7 of them were boys.  The rest of the classes averaged around 15, with a pretty even split between genders.
I chose to use my observation of that 9th grade class for the 2nd observation assignment though, so for this one I will focus on the next class I observed.  As I mentioned, I had already had the chance to meet this teacher before school began, which made entering her room much more comfortable.  She directed me to a seat at a large table off to the side.  The students’ desks were arranged in a horseshoe around the three sides of the room, facing forward.  This was the same set-up I saw in three of the four classes.  The teacher stood at the podium as she took attendance and checked off who had completed the homework assignment.  There were the usual posters you might imagine when you think of an English classroom (grammar and such), as well as some student-created posters on themes from Of Mice and Men, which they must have finished recently as it was not the current unit.
As she checked off the homework, it became clear that at least half of them had not done the assignment.  “See now, you’ve messed up my lesson!”  She exclaimed.  But she moved a student desk to the center of the horseshoe and sat down, getting the conversation going by asking to refresh everyone’s memories of what some of the issues were that they had discussed the previous day.  She asked leading questions and was great at wait time, and eventually someone would volunteer an answer each time.  This was much different from the energy of the first class I had observed.  These seniors were much more subdued, quietly clutching iced coffees.  They then began discussing the homework assignment, which was to briefly research a global issue.  She called on each student who had finished the assignment, asking them to share.  The last one to share had looked into the typhoon in the Philippines, and the teacher used this topic to begin asking probing questions like, “Besides death and illness, how else will the people of the typhoon be affected?”  and “What other global issues will this result in?”  She was guiding the discussion towards poverty, and how the poor will be even poorer in the wake of the destruction.  The students’ answers led her there.
While I listened, I was trying to figure out where this was leading.  A research paper?  Something else?  After the discussion, the teacher handed out worksheets, instructing the students to pair up and answer the questions based on what they know, have heard, or think they know.  She encouraged them to think and talk it out, and as the students moved into pairs, she brought me a copy of the worksheet.  It was on Poverty in the World, with questions like, “At least 80% of the world’s population lives on less that $_________ a day.”  I listened as the students began to liven up, chatting and making guesses as what the answers could or might be.  The teacher moved through the room to keep them on task and ask probing questions.  As they worked, she came over to chat with me.  She explained that she was getting them to think about poverty and what stems from poverty.  They were then going to get into human trafficking, including here in the US and in RI, which was ultimately leading into the novel Sold.  She explained that she was actually borrowing this unit from the first teacher I observed.  It was nice to see that they share lesson and unit ideas, as well as their technology, to support each other.
The students were engaged in the worksheet and curious to know what the answers were as they began to share.  Many of them were way off in their guesses, and were surprised by the answers.  She then gave out a second worksheet for homework (and told them it would count twice, so don’t blow it off like the last one!).  This assignment was an exercise in cost-of-living expenses, so they had to sit down with a parent or guardian or someone who pays bills to get an idea of what a monthly/weekly/daily budget might look like.  From these assignments and from what she explained to me of how the unit was going to go, I think it’s a great way to get the students to think about real world issues, and understand the effects even close to home in the US and RI, before launching into a novel about such issues as they happen somewhere far away in the world.  From the students’ interest in the worksheets that got them to liven up, I think they will wind up finding it to be interesting too.

No comments:

Post a Comment